Wednesday 23 February 2011

in the mood for

Apparently, in London, today has been the warmest day yet this winter.
It wasn't the most bright day, but it was cheerfully finding its way to the blue sky nonetheless.


What I like about this time of the year, is that you really notice changes.
You know, usually I am not very aware of my surroundings. Toby will tell you with pleasure.
It is not that I don't pay attention to what's around me, I'm just very good at daydreaming while only focusing on the object alone.
But as one season slowly drifts away to welcome the other, I am delighted to be able to be part of this wonderful world of changes.


The day stays a little lighter for a little longer.
Things start to turn more green and colourful.
I shed my thick dark wooly coats and find the comfort in something a shade lighter.


As I continuously, and metaphorically swimming through the puddle of lightness, I decided, spring might just have to come and fill me.
Quite literally.





Watercress soup with pear
serves 2 as main and 4 as starter


1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 potato, roughly cubed
1 pear, roughly chopped
1 garlic, crushed
1 bag of watercress
700ml vegetable stock
olive oil
salt and pepper


for garnish
6 thin pancetta rashers, cooked under the grill or pan fried and crumbled
double cream or creme fraiche




First of all in a medium sauce pan, saute onion, celery and garlic with little olive oil, salt and pepper over medium to low heat for 5-10mins. 
Add potato, pear and stock to the pan and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25mins.


Take it off the heat and start blending until smooth. 
Now at this point, you add watercress so it keeps its freshness rather than being boiled down to its last life. 
Blend the watercress into your soup and put them back on the low heat for couple of mins to warm it up a little.


Once ready, garnish them with pancetta crumbs and a drizzle of cream or creme fraiche. And if you're like me, good drizzle of olive oil.


Serve it with nice rustic sourdough bread slices.





Spring, brought to you and I.
A mouthful closer.

3 comments:

  1. This soup looks great! I will make it and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful . . . all your posts are!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks carrots.
    It is always very cheering when readers leave a kind comments.
    S x

    ReplyDelete